Monday, November 10, 2008

FInal Project - the Good Knight

I discussed my final project with Kathleen, and decided that I could probably stretch my midterm paper out to final paper-length in my sleep, so I thought I'd go in a completely different way.

So I'm creating a pitch for a new comic book hero, a sidekick all grown up into adult hero.

My hero grew up as as The Pageboy, sidekick to a hero named The Good Knight, prowling the dark alleyways of a Midwestern industrial city.  The kicker is that she's a she - Janet Fleischer by day - violating the general rule that the hero and sidekick game is exclusively for boys.  The further kicker is that, as the Pageboy, she crossed-dressed.  Either because her hero mentor thought it would protect her identity or ironically (in light of Wertham's views on Batman and Robin), because an adult male palling around with a young girl would be somehow unseemly.

Now her mentor is gone, and she's taking over the role.  But on her own terms (forgive me, Michael Dorsey), and as a woman.

So we have an Olde Englande themed hero, knight on horseback/motorcycle kind of thing.  But what really interests me is her conflict at heading back into the world.  Michael Corleone finally taking over the family business.

How does the public react to this new hero?  Does she out herself as the Pageboy or present as a brand new, unrelated adventurer?

How does the super-hero community react?  Did any of them know she was who she was?  The heros, the sidekicks?  Any sense of betrayal from them when they learn?

Is she ever tempted to "kill off" The Good Knight II, maybe return as a male Good Knight III?  A new incarnation, in the role she's more comfortable playing?

Short - I don't know.  But those are the questions I'm asking as I work on it.

No comments: