Thursday, November 20, 2008

Response to in-Class Proposal, continued

Piercings and Tattoos - Nicole
  • religious piercings
  • "supposed to make your life better"?  Sounds like the piercings in our culture.
  • I'm really interested in the culture clash between the Japanese, who had a long history of tattooing, and the Chinese, who did not.  How was this expressed?  Fought?  Resolved (or not)?
  • Romans?  Really?  Cool.  I didn't know that.
  • Your proposal is a great idea - don't know if practicioners are really aware of the history behind it.  My suspicion is that tattooers do, if only because of the Japanese influence on so many artists (and, just while we're at it, is there a sort of reverse-Engrish going on there with all these white kids wearing katakana that they hope means what they think it means).  Piercers?  I don't really know.  Again, I'd suspect that they don't.
  • For my own part, I knew a fair amount about the history of tattoo art (especially Japanese and Maori) before I got my first tattoos, although I wasn't terribly interested in them and none of my three tattoos come from those cultures.  I didn't know a thing about the history of piercings before I got my eyebrow done.

No comments: